Saturday, October 27, 2007

My Two Naira; For What It’s Worth (by Aaron)

People are the same wherever you go. They may dress a little differently, eat things that look a little strange, and have slightly different skin tones, but just barely below the surface we are all the same. We all desire a better life for our family, better education, better clothing, and better outcomes. These things drive us daily to outperform the previous day; to gain a leg-up. The only real thing that divides us is the haves and the have-nots; those that have Christ and those that have-not. This is the only real travesty in the world.

The things that we think make us so special and unique really don’t mean a thing. In fact those things are what cause us, most of the time, to think we are in the haves group when in reality we are not. Situations and position have nothing to do with Christ in us, even though your typical Sunday morning sermon in the states may say otherwise. No, we battle not against flesh and blood but against the rulers and the principalities of this dark world. You see, there really is a battle ragging and the outcome is not determined by status, stock options, retirement, or bumper-stickers that say “my child is a pee-wee super-star.” It is determined by how bad we really want Christ to be victorious in this war.

We were about to head back home after several hours at a youth conference for our target people group when several asked if they could get a ride down the road with us. They all climbed in our “Man Van II” along with our whole family (sardines; smell and all). There were two women in the back with Shelly and she began to talk with them. She asked if they were Muslim and they said yes. Shelly asked if they had ever heard about Jesus before. They didn’t really reply because just like most people we come in contact with, they don’t speak much English (frustrating). Elisha just flat out said “what does that mean?” Shelly told him that they don’t believe that Jesus is God and that he died for our sins. Hello battle-field!

The war wages daily and the front lines are not just in Africa, they’re in the states too. In fact, in the states we’ve been told that if we were in that situation we should just all resolve our differences and get along. We love people, but let’s not forget that there are two sides in the battle. Let’s not forget that this is a REAL battle.

Please continue to pray for us, especially me. We can see God working in everything, but I am still struggling with exactly how I fit in. . .what is my “job” you might say. You men will know what I am talking about. God is good though, and He is Big! Pray that His power is shown.

I must share one more story that will make you laugh. Elisha is a phenomenon here. They think he is Nigerian. When I tell them he is my son, this blank glaze comes over their face for about 5 seconds. It is great to watch people wrestle with that in their minds. Then they try to verbalize it. Well, I was talking with this 13 year old boy, and I was trying to form a connection. I pointed to Elisha and said he was my son. He looked over at him and then he said to me, “Is he white?”

May your day be blessed and remember: serve your King.

2 comments:

twoquail said...

Aaron...

I know you've heard the term..."In God's time!" It's a terrible cliche, but I truly believe if you let go of the thought you MUST make a decision about your ministry NOW, God's answer will come to you through an abundant number of messages!!

My prayer is that you will feel more relaxed in your mission right now - let it take you where it may - learn as much as you can - take quiet time alone to listen for God's answer.

Go out and shoot some hoops - I bet you get a huge crowd around you pretty quickly!!

Marie Evans

Ashlyn said...

Me, ashlyn. Praying for you night and day. What you are doing would be the greatest adventure to me. I miss your family,
Ashlyn