Orientation was great and Aaron got a chance to experience the enormous market area after we finished. We actually had an evening at home. "Auntie," the woman over the area of ministry we are in, came over and visited for a while. She began describing to us what our time here will look like and explaining more about the culture. It was very informative. We will spend the next three days with her and are excited about what we are learning. We are on information overload!
This compound is so nice and comfortable. It is actually a rest place for missionaries to come for a break and we get to live here! God is so good. The boys are in love and delighting in everything. I am a bit concerned about how much Aaron may be gone from us traveling to other camps and such. Judy wants him to go on a three day trip with her and several others. We are praying about that. I am writing this knowing the internet is not working tonight. We were without electricity for several hours this afternoon and early evening. Aaron keeps saying “TIA” which is his code for “THIS IS AFRICA!” when something goes wrong (-: We are adjusting and praising God for how well the children are doing. I am rejoicing in the fact that I got my first hot shower today! We miss and love you all.
The above I wrote yesterday and now it is Thursday afternoon. I am home alone with the children for the first time since our arrival. Aaron went to Jos to hopefully pick up our vehicle. Elisha, Lydia and I went to the local market this morning with my friend, Zsuzsa, who is a missionary here from Hungry. She has given me so much help and information! The market was intense to say the least. It is much smaller than Jos but very crowded and close. The smell was overwhelming in some places. I got vegetables and bananas and a piece of cloth for the boys to have Nigerian shirts made.
Aaron and I have been advised to have some Nigerian clothing made. Aaron needs one outfit for special ceremonies like weddings. However, I need a few because I am encouraged to stay away from Western clothing while visiting the people group we are to work with. I also have to wear a hair tie that is usually from the same material as the dress. It is very inexpensive to have clothing made and apparently the quality is outstanding.
We have had very little power the last two days. Right now it is 2:00 in the afternoon and I am using the battery power on the laptop to write. I sure wish I had a fan blowing on me (-:
Auntie came again this morning and visited with Aaron the whole time I was shopping. We walked about a mile to market and then stayed about an hour and walked home with all our baggage. Before I left the house for Market, a Nigerian man came over for a few minutes while Auntie was here. There is constant action and visitors, but not usually after dark. Aaron said that we just need to do school and family time after dark and then we won’t be worried about interruptions.
I can’t explain all the emotions and stresses we are feeling, but the grace of the Lord is so sweet and I have fallen into depression or anxiety. If I feel it coming on, I have been able to take my thoughts captive and I praise God for that! Aaron needs much more down time than I do so I can just imagine how he is feeling. He is really being strong though and not complaining. Hopefully we will have some downtime together soon to visit and process all this information! My biggest hardship right now is not being able to use the internet and communicate with all of you whenever I want to. I am especially concerned about my parents because I can’t email often and I know they worry. The service here is sporadic at best. I shouldn’t complain because at least we do have contact occasionally. I guess it is all to be expected. This place is very nice compared to other places in Africa but very backwards compared to home.
The children are still doing great despite the lack of one on one time with us. Hopefully it will slow down in a couple of weeks. Today Judah said that he likes his new friends here better than his friends at home. Parent’s of our children’s friends, please don’t take that badly, just rejoice that he is so happy! However, one of his “friends” hit him with a rope after that comment and he didn’t like them anymore. HA!
Auntie has a mission station in a town about three hours away. There are two different people groups living there who are seeking or walking in Christianity. There is no running water there and the only electricity is in Auntie's house (and is from solar panels). We are going for a day trip to see it on Saturday with all the children and will get an idea of what an extended visit would look like. The “plan” is for us to take frequent “camping trips” to this location. I say all this to explain that my frustration with all these power outages is nothing compared to what it might be!
I know that what I share is painting a very small part of the whole picture but I have no way of explaining everything. I just hope my ramblings give you a small glimpse into this new world of ours and can help you feel a part of our journey because you are! It is very intense right now, but the people are wonderful and beautiful. They love to talk to us and they LOVE Lydia. At market today they asked about Elisha and can’t believe he is our son from Texas! (Everyone has heard of Texas!) They say he looks Nigerian. I am anxious to go to Auntie's place and meet the people whom we have come to serve because they are completely different from the people here where we live.
If you have any questions or suggestions about what I can share to bless and inform you better I would love to hear them. You can respond at the bottom of each post. Just click on the comment section. My house help is supposed to come tomorrow and I can’t wait. I am so overwhelmed with doing everything by hand and taking care of four children and going and going nonstop outside the home. I am very thankful for the help and grateful that it is what we are encouraged to do and not just an excessive luxury! I am still waiting for my oven to work so I have not cooked anything yet. That is “therapy” for me so I am ready to make some cinnamon rolls! Wish I could bring you some too! Thank you for reading my mind’s explosion!
9 comments:
Well, it sounds like everything is going good. I am so excited to read about your experiences. Can't wait to see some pictures! I will most definatly be praying about depression, we both know how debilitating that can be. Be strong and rely on the Lord for all things. All my love, Susie
Hello friends!
Don't worry about responding personally. Very much enjoy reading of your adventures! I've got your Elisha covered. Love you bunches! Andrea
Shelly---I am so glad that you have this website. You would be "superhuman" if you weren't a little depressed (homesick) but hey on the bright side did you say you will have like a "housecleaning or maid service" that will be very helpful! I'm so glad the kids are doing good and we will continue to keep you and Aaron in our prayers! I love reading your web page!
Season said that Judah better not be checking out any Nigerian ladies. lol Seriously, I am so glad they are enjoying themselves, though Grayson did wonder where "Juwah" was Wed. night. I love reading your mind's explosion! Missed your contagious laugh tonight. And cannot wait to see some pics of Aaron in his formal dress. hehe Still so excited about what God is going to do. love you all
I, too, enjoy the "explosions"!! I'm praying fervently that Judah finds some native food that he enjoys and will sustain him! Looking forward to pictures of the clothing that gets made - do they like bright colors? Please, please, Shelly, get some rest! I've shared your blogs with my classes - the kids at DHS are eager to see photos, too! Marie
Thanks for your excellent communications! I love the pictures. We've walked by "your" house hundreds of times, and have been inside numerous times. So we can picture what all you're going through and what you're describing. We're praying for you big time. He will accomplish the purpose for which He sent you.
Dick Ackley
Shelly, I love the pictures! What a beautiful garden area! I can see you doing your quiet time there, with Lydia in the sling :)
Enjoy the spacious house...I might move to Nigeria for that much room!
Love you!
Hello T-tribe! Thrilled to hear you are "adjusting" to Africa and loving it. Praise God all is well and the boys are happy. Shelly, let God comfort you in those down times and know that you are making a huge transition so don't be too hard on yourself. May God continue to strengthen and encourage you all.
His richest blessings,
Stacey
Shelly,
I love reading your updates. You are a talented writer that makes it easy to visualize what's going on with this new adventure with God. I will pray for you to be encouraged each day. Deut 33:12 is one of my favorite verses when I am having a depressing day. It says 'the one the Lord loves can rest securely between His shoulders'. It reminds me of comforting a young child who is upset and how they are comforted by being picked up and lying their heads on the shoulder of one who loves them. May He comfort you each and every day.
In His Love, Brenda Elmore
Post a Comment