First of all, we have regular internet service again and are enjoying it until we move in January! So if you want to write us please do! The picture of the man with the generator on his head is so typical here. Everyone carries everything on their heads and I even saw a little girl who couldn’t be much over a year old with a rock on her head just trying to be like everyone else! There is a lady who comes to my door selling watermelons and she usually has about five of them with a pineapple or two up on a tray on her head! Ouch!
We have enjoyed having several people into our home recently. I have been making Mexican food and that is totally foreign to everyone here! Unlike going to Mexico, African food isn’t a treat for the most part. I taught Ruth how to help me make flour tortillas and we have had homemade salsa with huevos y papas (eggs and potatoes). It is a hit! It is fun letting people try something new, especially when they enjoy it. Thankfully this is a yummy food to everyone we’ve introduced it to so far. Tonight Ruth and her family will join us for dinner and that will be fun. There are still several people we want to have over before we move, so we are working hard at fitting everyone in. I love it!
On Friday we had Zsuzsa and her family over to celebrate her birthday and I fixed Mexican food for our family and Ruth made pounded yam and agusi soup for Zsuzsa because it is her favorite. We don’t care for it, but it is a big deal here. Many pictures and art in this area show women pounding yam. Be sure and see our pictures for this week with Ruth and Aaron and Caleb pounding the yam. Their “yam” is a huge tuber that is white inside and kind of slimy when cooked. We haven’t developed a taste for it yet. When it is pounded it is then put in little baggies. You are supposed to take a baggie of it and pull off pieces with your hands and then dip it in the soup stuff. There are even little bowls of water placed on the tables to wash your hands after you eat.
Friday is my 29th birthday and Zsuzsa is having us over that night. Then on Saturday night the Porters have offered to fix Aaron and me a candle lit dinner out on their patio, while the Crouches keep our children! Wow! I am so excited to have a real date with Aaron. This is the last week of school for the boarding school next door and tomorrow night the girls group that I have spent a little time with is coming over to our house for a “Birthday Party for Jesus.” The boys are excited about making the cake.
There is a butchery here on our compound and recently the boys got to watch a cow be slaughtered. They loved it and were not scared or anything. Today I went by the outdoor area where they do the slaughtering and noticed that they had just killed three huge hogs. I told Aaron and the boys and they spent an hour watching the show. Disgusting. What an education.

1 comment:
Hey Aaron & Shelly,
I enjoyed looking through your pictures tonight and remembering the time we spent together in Miango. Getting to know you guys was a great pleasure and I thank God for crossing our paths. It looks like we will be returning in Feb. or Mar. God Bless you guys! Keep up the great work and the cool blogsite!
In His Grip with You,
Matt - I-TEC
Post a Comment